The Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (PRA) began its life in Hackney in 1959 as a self-help organisation. It was formally registered in 1962 as a charity. In those days, there was no community care except for D.A.O's (Duly Authorised Officers). They were invariably appointed because of their size and carried warrants that enabled them to arrange with a psychiatrist for 'the patient' to be 'sectioned' and to convey him/her to hospital - against their will if need be. In this climate, what eventually became the PRA under the stewardship of John Wilder, held small group meetings with interested patients, relatives and a few professionals in Hackney. And so, slowly, the PRA as an organisation, emerged. During this time the PRA was also ably supported by Gywneth Ross who worked full time as company secretary on a voluntary basis. Mirella Manni succeeded John Wilder as PRA director in 2004 until 2010 and in total worked for the organisation for over 20 years.
Since its inception, the PRA provided much needed support for hundreds of individuals on discharge from hospital. The services ranged from residential care, day centres, sheltered workshops, art studios and gallery, a shop, evening groups and an out-of-hours supper club.
PRA Services changed its name to The Centre for Better Health (CBH) in 2010.
We work with individuals across the community with a range of needs. In doing this we aim to promote positive mental health and wellbeing for all.